Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Hi all, perspective query

the topic is closed
30/05/2011 06:03:46

Exhibit_A
Exhibit_A
Hi, I'm new here (been lurking in forum for a while), what an amazing peice of software Muvizu is!!! Brilliant! Congrats to all.

I want to build an 'art gallery' set, but i'm having trouble placing a picture frame on the wall and making it look right (perspective-wise). Any tips on how to do this?

Part of my issue is just getting used to the movement controls, and I think that's probably made harder because I am using a mousepad .. any tips on using Muzivu with a mousepad would be helpful too

I've watched all the tutorials and will keep playing, but if anyone can offer a suggestion that'd be great.

Andy

ps. great forum too
30/05/2011 10:29:34

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Hi Exhibit_A, welcome to the Muvizu forums.

I'm not sure of the best way to use a mousepad. I think its down to practice really. You might want to consider getting a cheap USB mouse though, I think that'd be the easiest way to improve mouse-usage in Muvizu. Alternatively you can use the keyboard controls to move around. W and S and forward and back arrow keys will move you forward and back (as you may well have expected ) the A and D keys will strafe left and right and the left and right arrow keys will rotate your view left or right. The page up and page down keys will rotate your view up and down and the Q and E will lift you up and down. Hope this helps.

As for the picture frame - its a difficult object to use (positioning wise in Muvizu and also for displaying images) as you've found out. There are a few different options to improve things.

A) Use a different object, there are flat screen TV's and abstract objects that allow textures to be added.

B) Create your own object, you can use Google Sketchup todo this and we have some good tutorials on how to do it at http://muvizu.com/forum/topic913-how-do-i.aspx#post4126 or watch the official tutorial for maya (it may give you some tips if nothing else) http://www.muvizu.com/Video/12421/Tutorial-07-Importing-3D-models By using this option you would be able to properly define the display area for your art work as well as getting the proportions and dimensions correct.

C) You can use a backdrop object to display your images within Muvizu. It does not have a boarder section to look like a frame but you could use the abstract objects (or other objects in Muvizu or custom) to do this.

D) Perservere with the picture frame object. One thing you might want to try is to scale everything up by the same amount. Smaller objects tend to be more tricky to place and manage than larger ones. Don't worry though, if you scale everything up by the same amount it will still be - relatively speaking - the same in your camera output.

Hope this helps and I look forward to seeing more posts from you!
edited by Jamie on 30/05/2011

--
Direct, don't animate!
30/05/2011 12:13:09

Exhibit_A
Exhibit_A
Thanks for the tips Jamie, I'll try some of your suggestions.

Another question ....

To create a large room, you need to put muliple backdrops together (or maybe its better to just stretch a single backdrop?), is there an easy way to align backdrops?

On that topic, from a new users vantage point, it would be helpful to have a "snap/align together" option, failing that even a "look from directly above" button would be useful.

Thanks again for your help, off to play again Big Grin

Andy
31/05/2011 09:51:55

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
It's probably better to have a number of backdrops together to make a wall instead of scaling one backdrop to be extra long. This is because any texture you apply to a backdrop will also be scaled, so if you scale the backdrop on one axis only the image will look stretched. If you uniformly increase the scale of the backdrop it will be to high for your ceiling and characters. You could work out where the top of the wall is and create the image so that once it is scalled it fits at the correct resolution / dimensions.

A snap-to or align feature is planned but as of yet we've no date for when, so unfortunetly there isn't an easy way to align backdrops. A final option for you is to make the oject yourself that way you can get the model's size correct and correctly align any wall textures on it.

Glad to be of help!

--
Direct, don't animate!
31/05/2011 12:38:22

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Jamie wrote:

A snap-to or align feature is planned but as of yet we've no date for when, so unfortunetly there isn't an easy way to align backdrops.

Glad to be of help!

I may have a few techniques that may help with aligning backdrops to each other.
If you create a floor plan shape in Paint or Photoshop and import the image onto a ground plane you can use this as a guide and place backdrops around the perimeter. If the ground plane cannot be enlarged to the size you require then just section your floor plan into diffenert images and tile as many ground planes as required.

Hope this helps.
If you don't know what the hell I'm talking about then, I'll knock together a video tutorial at some point to really confuse matters!

cheers
D
the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Hi all, perspective query