Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? AMD A6-3420M 1.5GHz or does Muvizu use multicores?

the topic is closed
27/03/2012 00:14:54

BA1969
BA1969
Hello All,

I've downloaded Muvizu yesterday and played quite some hours with it, I love it. I've never done directing before, only been using Poser for my comics and Hexagon for modeling. With Muvizu I plan to turn one of my (Dutch) comics into an 3D movie.

I'm running it on a laptop (Core2Duo P8600 2.4Ghz), just over 3 years old. Not the fastest one, but it's workable. I'm looking at replacing it in the near future with a AMD A6-3420M 1.5 GHz. Lower frequentie, but a quad core instead of 2 cores and a much much better gfx card. On the websites it states that a 2.4Ghz cpu is the minimum, but how does this work with multi-core cpu's? Is that figure based on a single core? Will a AMD A6-3420M 1.5 GHz be good enough and will all cores be used?

I also assume that the gfx card has a huge impact on the performance and especially the final output video. I now have mediocre Radeon HD 4330 with 256Mb, the one I'm looking at has a Radeon HD 6520G with shared memory (I'm sure it can handle at least 512Mb, but perhaps even more). That should really improve the end result, when saving to video, should it?

Thanks for your help,

Benjamin
27/03/2012 12:21:46

jamesriley
jamesriley
Hi Benjamin,
I can't wait to see what you do with the comics, should be good.

The quad core processor on the laptop you have in mind should be capable enough for running Muvizu. The laptop you have at the moment sounds good as well.

A stronger dual core processor would be more advantageous, the quad core only being better if you're multithreading. The quad core will only fire on all cylinders if you've got multiple laborious operations (Burning DVD's, running Muvizu etc) going at once and since Muvizu is quite labour intensive then I wouldn't want to reccomend something that may not be up to scratch. If it's just muvizu you're going to be using, then the main thing to remember here is the better the graphics card the better Muvizu will run.

The graphics card on the machine you've been looking at sound great.

I would thoroughly reccomend researching more in depth about any future laptop purchase. But whichever laptop you decide to buy, I look forward to seeing what you do in Muvizu.

Good luck,

Jim
27/03/2012 22:03:35

BA1969
BA1969
Thanks for the reply Jim. My current CPU is pretty good, but the graphics card isn't best one. It's workable, but not perfect. Since it's a Dell laptop, it will be hard or impossible to upgrade the graphics card, so a whole new laptop is needed. I'm still looking around and saving up for one.
13/05/2012 23:10:46

BA1969
BA1969
Well, after looking around for a while and putting my movie project on hold, I've finally decided and purchased a new laptop. I'v order a HP Pavilion G6 with Intel i5-2450M 2.5 GHz / AMD HD 7450M 1Gb, They had it on sale at a online store in my country where I frequently buy items. On top of the sale price, I still had a good number of vouchers, dropping the price even more. If all goes well, it should arrive on Tuesday. Moving up from windows xp 32bits to windows 7 64bits, I'm a bit nervous about that.

I picked this one because the graphics card is as good (or better) then one I looked at, but the i5 is a lot better then the AMD A6 I looked at. This should handle Muvizu and my other (3D) applications much more smooth then my current laptop.
14/05/2012 00:20:35

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I have a Lenovo laptop with an AMD A6-3420M 1.5 ghz and AMD Radeon HD 6650M 1gb graphics, 8 gigs ram and it runs Muvizu really well. I'm running Windows 7 pro 64 bit and the only time I notice any "slowdown" is when I have a lot of characters and lights in a scene but it's nothing that hinders production. I overclocked the cpu cores to 2.4 ghz and that seemed to speed things up more.

I got this laptop at a really really good price ($500 us) and am actually quite happy with Muvizu's performance. It's a tad bit slower than an Intel cpu but nothing serious.

My previous laptop had an Intel core 2 duo 2.2 ghz with 512 mb Nvidia graphics and 4 gigs of ram and it ran Muvizu pretty well. My new laptop even though it's not Intel runs Muvizu quite a bit better. I've always pretty much been an "Intel guy" but these new AMD gpu's are quite impressive.
the topic is closed

Home ? Tech Help ? AMD A6-3420M 1.5GHz or does Muvizu use multicores?