Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Motion JPEG (Don't overlook it!)

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
03/09/2010 10:32:28

barrys
barrys
Hi. When I was making 'Geraldo and the Plan' I had all sorts of codec problems. I wont go into details but MP4 files (like XVID and DIVX) weren't behaving inside Adobe Premiere. I embarked on a tedious exercise to find a suitable codec. In the end I installed the K-Lite codec Pack. This placed a codec in Muvizu's drop-down menu called "ffdshow." The cool thing is that you can configure ffdshow to spit out loads of different codecs so it's easy a quick to try a few for file size or quality issues.

Motion JPEG (or lossless JPEG) gave good quality images with big (but not massive) file sizes. Furthermore it also sailed through Premiere and After Effects with no problems.

It's an old format but does the job. Try it if you're having XVID or DIVX problems

Barry

K-Lite is here: http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm
03/09/2010 11:16:41

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
I think the K-Lite pack is one of the best downloads on the Net - but make sure you grab the Full codec pack as the others are missing some pretty good codecs.
06/09/2010 22:22:03

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
Barry
There seem to be a few codecs with a similar name on free-codecs - is it the Morgan M-JPEG codec

many thanks

Mick
07/09/2010 00:01:55

Frendor
Frendor
Hi,

toonarama the codec pack you are after is 'K-Lite Codec Pack 6.3.0 Full' the link that barrys provided as a link on that page called 'Download K-Lite Codec Pack', this will take you to the download page, I'm not sure if you've missed it because its black text.

Anyway here's the link to the download page...
http://www.free-codecs.com/K_Lite_Codec_Pack_download.htm

Or you could download the ffdshow codec...http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDShow.htm
that's the into page.
Download page... http://www.free-codecs.com/FFDShow_download.htm

Maybe its best to go the full hog and install 'K-lite full'. Either way once installed you will need to go to the 'VFW configuration' and set 'lossless JPEG' as your encoder! You will also find a bunch of other Codecs there to play with. Once selected set the codec in Muvizu as ffdshow video codec.

10 sec's of 'lossless JPEG' is around 125 MB.

Frendor.
edited by Frendor on 9/7/2010
07/09/2010 08:42:55

toonarama
Thanks Frendor
I downloaded the k-lite codec pack last night but i didn't notice the M-JPEG amongst the codecs available in Muvizu.
Must admit I chose the standard rather than custom instillation and didn't have a clue what boxes should be selected or deselected.
Knowing that it's in the pack i'll dig a bit further.
many thanks
Toonarama
07/09/2010 09:01:46

barrys
barrys
Aye, my fault. It's called "lossless JPEG" and to find it...

1. START - ALL PROGRAMS - K-LITE CODEC PACK - CONFIGURATION - ffdshow VFW Interface
2. In the ENCODER tab, pick "lossless JPEG" from the drop-down list

3. You have two COLOURSPACE options. One works and the other one doesn't. Try them both.

Hope this helps

Barry
07/09/2010 09:16:07

toonarama
Thanks Barry, I'll give that a go tonight
07/09/2010 09:53:53

Frendor
Frendor
Hello again,

Question now barrys is what do you use to convert the lossless JPEG edits made in Adobe Premiere to the final AVI's that are uploaded to Muvizu or Youtube? Personally I use TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress and I have to say I'm more then happy with what TMPGEnc 4.0 delivers, but it would be nice to do the whole job in one application!

I find Adobe throws a fit anytime the world AVI is mentioned. Not sure if there's a good plug in or not for Adobe, any advice is much appreciated!

Frendor.
07/09/2010 10:06:07

barrys
barrys
I can't remember what settings I used, but I don't recall having any problems with AVI. Once I'd made my edits in Premiere I would output using the youTube preset. This would spit out a mp4 file which is youTube compliant

Barry
08/09/2010 20:39:58

toonarama
Barry
I successfully used the ffdshow lossless codec as you suggested but one thing puzzles me.
You mentioned that one of the colourspaces works and one dosn't but both seem to work fine and look about the same.!?
Is one likely to be better quality
many thanks
Toonarama
09/09/2010 01:38:12

Frendor
Frendor
Hope you don't mind me butting in here again!

The YV12 and RGB32 look exactly alike in Muvizu, its only when you play back your movie outside of Muvizu that you notice the difference, in YV12 the colours are correct, Red, Green and blue! However, in RGB32 the Blues are Red and the Reds are Blue!

RGB32 - Media Classic

Frendor.
09/09/2010 08:25:58

toonarama
Thanks Frendor
That explains it but does not explain the fact that I watched it outside Muvizu and couldn't tell the difference - time to see the optician I think!
Much appreciated

Toonarama
09/09/2010 17:50:43

Frendor
Frendor
toonarama,

Before you rush out to the optician its worth noting that red and blue colours on objects within the Muvizu world will still be red and blue whether your're using YV12 or RGB32. It's only the lighting that changes!

At least it is for me, but then again I'm overdue an eye check-up! :-)

Frendor.
05/11/2010 11:31:27

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
HELP!!!

I seem to be banging my head against a wall when it comes to this codec malarky

The situation is this:

I have outputted all my scenes in xvid and edited in vegas and since found out that the rendered file from this has a lot of blocky artifacts throughout. I know (now!) that xvid aint the best for editing but the deed is done as far as mega-editing goes in vegas

Now if i take the xvid scenes and convert them to another format (motion jpeg or whatever) and try and swap them with the edits in vegas will i experience the same thing because the source files have been xvid originally or is it an editing issue?

please help this has been holding me back for ages!!

Cheers
D
05/11/2010 11:46:19

glasgowjim
glasgowjim
Hi Dreeko,

In an ideal world I would recommend re-recording in Muvizu using the ffdshow lossless JPEG codec, but if you can't do that then you might be able to make your videos more compatible by running it through Virtualdub and selecting XVid compression:

http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/

Whenever I am editing XVid videos I run them through VirtualDub first, as it seems to reduce the likelihood of artifacts appearing when you add transitions and other effects.

Take care,
-Jim.
05/11/2010 12:03:35

JamieMuvizu staff
Jamie
(Account inactive)
Dreeko wrote:
HELP!!!

I seem to be banging my head against a wall when it comes to this codec malarky

The situation is this:

I have outputted all my scenes in xvid and edited in vegas and since found out that the rendered file from this has a lot of blocky artifacts throughout. I know (now!) that xvid aint the best for editing but the deed is done as far as mega-editing goes in vegas

Now if i take the xvid scenes and convert them to another format (motion jpeg or whatever) and try and swap them with the edits in vegas will i experience the same thing because the source files have been xvid originally or is it an editing issue?

please help this has been holding me back for ages!!

Cheers
D

Dreeko,

The easiest solution - without re-rendering everything in Muvizu is just to run the output XVID AVI's through virtual dub and re-encode them as XVID. This will let you post-process without the artifacts you describe.

--
Direct, don't animate!
05/11/2010 12:27:01

Dreeko
Thanks for the reply

I now have virtualdub infront of me but my brain hurts,

hate to be a noob but what exactly do i need to do here?, am i filtering or exporting there seem to be a lot of things in the menues for this

help im drowning..glug glug!

cheers
D
05/11/2010 12:37:22

claireqMuvizu staff
claireq
In the menu video>compression (or CTRL+P) you can change the compression in there.
Once you have done this go to file>save as avi.

Hopefully that should work for you
05/11/2010 12:51:36

Dreeko
claireq wrote:
In the menu video>compression (or CTRL+P) you can change the compression in there.
Once you have done this go to file>save as avi.

Hopefully that should work for you

Thanks you, thanks you

let it rain Haribo upon you for your good deeds madam!

cheers!

D
08/11/2010 10:54:48

claireqMuvizu staff
claireq
mmm I love Haribo
I am glad that it helped. Keep up the good work Dreeko.
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Motion JPEG (Don't overlook it!)