Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Head attachment/ face mask Actions/Dialogue ???

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
14/02/2016 07:34:14

ritsmer
ritsmer
Please: a hint to a Muvizu Wiki or Tutorial or forum post where it is described how to let a characters eyes, mouth etc. move according to applied actions (angry, sad etc) and synchronizing to a dialogue ??

I have googled and tried different things for quite some time now - but not found anything useable so far.

Such a thing can be used for many purposes - right now I just would like to create a Yoda head with eye + lid movements and some dialogue - but as soon as I have put the Yoda head attachment on the Fat Man's face his Yoda face remains totally unmoveable...

Or - would I just have to make the movements 1) with the attachment and 2) without attachment but with a yoda-colored skin tone/texture - and then make a masked mix of the 2 recordings in i.e. Sony Vegas ? (As Muvizu is nicely repetitive this might work well.)
edited by ritsmer on 14/02/2016
14/02/2016 14:56:54

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
if I understand your question correctly... you want to put a head attachment on fat man, then have the eyes and mouth move in response to actions and dialog... correct?

Head attachments are like putting a bucket over your head.. the attachment hides what's underneath.. and the attachment's eyes and mouth aren't animated.

In order to accomplish what you want to do, the attachment has to be made in such a way that the characters mouth is not covered, because it's only the original character's mouth that responds to dialog.

Also, if you want the eyes to be animatable, you'll have to use eyes from the standard character properties, and edit their position with the sliders so they can be seen outside the head attachment.

The end result won't look quite as much like Yoda, but it will get the idea across and be much more useful for animation.
14/02/2016 15:02:49

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
if your idea of using Sony Vegas to get the desired results works, please post a how-to video or message,as I'm sure a lot of people would love to get more mileage out of head attachments.
14/02/2016 17:27:25

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I take it, ritsmer, you've seen this?

http://www.muvizu.com/Video/45714/Do-or-Do-Not

Same problem, and there's the solution - don't cover the mouth! You can move the eyes out of the original head to match the new overlay head piece, so you still get the same animation options. The Clayster's got it down, man
15/02/2016 05:59:36

ritsmer
ritsmer
ziggy72: You are perfectly right - and it was actually that nice work of clayster that originally gave me the idea that such a thing could be done.

Carefully scrutinizing claysters video now shows that the eye area(s) and the mouth area come from the underlying character with a similar skintone - and so they are not a part of the attachment - which is what I assumed at first.

Before your suggestion I just did not know where to begin looking - so: thank you.

PatMarrNC: Right now I am on a long holiday only having my little 15 inch laptop around - so I can not make a tutorial here - however I would have tried to make it this way:

1-Muvizu-make video with the head attachment on the head of the character
2-Muvizu-make video with the head attachment off - but with an attachment similar skin tone of the character.
Note: between the 1) and 2) recordings the cameras must not be adjusted.
3-In Sony Vegas use 1) as the master and letting a small Bezier-masked part of the face from 2) cover the unmoveable head attachment...
... there will be a considerable amount of trial and error in this - but an acceptable result is quite probable.
edited by ritsmer on 15/02/2016
15/02/2016 14:40:54

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
ritsmer wrote:
PatMarrNC: Right now I am on a long holiday only having my little 15 inch laptop around - so I can not make a tutorial here - however I would have tried to make it this way:

1-Muvizu-make video with the head attachment on the head of the character
2-Muvizu-make video with the head attachment off - but with an attachment similar skin tone of the character.
Note: between the 1) and 2) recordings the cameras must not be adjusted.
3-In Sony Vegas use 1) as the master and letting a small Bezier-masked part of the face from 2) cover the unmoveable head attachment...
... there will be a considerable amount of trial and error in this - but an acceptable result is quite probable.
edited by ritsmer on 15/02/2016

pretty clever! I'll have to try that! As workarounds go, that one sounds pretty easy and with a good payoff at the end.

FWIW, if you send me your email address, I'll send you a set containing my versions of some star wars characters, including a Yoda whose head attachment leaves the mouth uncovered, and whose eyes are standard Muvizu animated eyes.
15/02/2016 19:24:25

braj
braj
My issue is how to get the materials between a character and the attachment looking proper. Does anyone have any tips?
15/02/2016 22:07:00

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
braj wrote:
My issue is how to get the materials between a character and the attachment looking proper. Does anyone have any tips?

this is one reason why I don't use textures on attachments that have to blend in with a character... it's hard enough to find solid colors that are close enough to pass.
15/02/2016 23:08:48

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
braj wrote:

Your final lighting will decide what colour you have to set the character to in order to make it blend better. Muvizu characters 'absorb' light differently from objects, so you're best worrying about it in each shot as you do them, rather than trying to find that elusive perfect setting (you'll be there for a long time...).
16/02/2016 05:24:18

braj
braj
I think I can get color to pretty much match except for how light reflects, this is just about the same no matter the lighting, it is just as much off. I guess the big issue then is creating a character where either you don't see it enough to matter, or you do the modelling well like the Yoda character where it just matches well. Newer characters are much harder, like Beefy because you can't adjust the eyes enough.

This was my attempt to turn Beefy into a werewolf today, but I think it looks like a dude with something stuck to his face. We also can't get rid of his ears so that forces more compromises. Where the attachment meets the character is also very obvious. I think I'm going to have to plan this out a lot better if I want good results. But this is at least good in quick passing and dim silhouette.

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Head attachment/ face mask Actions/Dialogue ???