Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? making seamless textures and backgrounds

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
14/07/2016 03:01:31

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I was using a 2D graphic in a backdrop to simulate the scenery passing by as a car drives along. But the graphic wasn't seamless, so every couple of seconds it showed a stark line where the image ended and restarted. It occurred to me that if the image started and ended and started at the same place, it would flow from left to right seamlessly. After experimenting, I came up with a very simple way to make any graphic scroll sideways seamlessly:

MAKING SEAMLESS SIDE - SCROLLING 2D GRAPHICS
===============================================
2d graphics that scroll sideways seamlessly in a backdrop can be created by opening any graphic in a graphic editor, making a mirror image of it, and pasting the two images together. The 2nd image should start exactly where the last one ended, and end up where the first image re-starts.
metaphorically, it's like a visual palindrome: "MADAM I'M ADAM"

LEFT_RIGHTTHGIR_TFEL
edited by PatMarrNC on 14/07/2016
14/07/2016 03:03:46

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
A similar procedure makes TILABLE textures out of any image
(tilable meaning it has to spread out in all 4 directions without showing a seam)

to make graphics seamless in all directions, mirror it as described above, them take the result and mirror it again in the vertical direction. Once again, where the two copies touch, they need to be a mirror image of one another

if the original graphic was ABC the tilable version would be :
---------
VBCCBV
ABCCBA
---------
(V represents an upside down A.. the other letter already look the same upside down)
14/07/2016 03:06:29

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
The same concept works with video. Let's say you have a snippet of moving water texture, but it's very obvious when the video starts over.

==========================================================
VIDEO TEXTURE (LIKE WATER, CLOUDS, HIGHWAY DRIVING OR OTHER VIDEO BACKDROPS)

1) In your video editor load your video texture

2) make a copy of it and place it AFTER the original

3) reverse the direction of the copy
(procedure depends on which video editor you use, you'll have to figure that out)

4) save the the normal and backward clips together as one double-long clip.

This works the same as the scrolling 2D graphic in the first example
15/07/2016 02:01:39

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
the procedure for making seamless video is most effective when the movement is somewhat random. If it is highly directional, when your reverse the copy it will look like the water suddenly started flowing uphill.
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? making seamless textures and backgrounds