Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Fireflies

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
21/09/2016 06:12:37

unlimitedmagic
unlimitedmagic
Found a cool way to create fireflies.

Take a picture of a forest and in photoshop, use a speckled brush to cut random holes in it to transparency and save it as a PNG file. Make the pic a texture on a backdrop. Then in a blank canvas in photoshop use a similar speckled brush and pure yellow to add a bunch of random dots to a transparent layer. Save it as a PNG and add it to a backdrop and place the backdrop behind the forest backdrop. Make the yellow dotted backdrop animate slowly left or right. Add several copies of the forest backdrop and animated yellow dotted backdrop around the area your camera can see. Looks great as the yellow passes through the holes in the forest picture.

I added the Flies effect with a very low intensity and put a spotlight right above it with the distance set so the light doesn't show on the ground. And I copied it several times around the view of the camera.

Here's the result:

Bob
21/09/2016 06:48:55

tonyob67
tonyob67
unlimitedmagic wrote:
Found a cool way to create fireflies.

Take a picture of a forest and in photoshop, use a speckled brush to cut random holes in it to transparency and save it as a PNG file. Make the pic a texture on a backdrop. Then in a blank canvas in photoshop use a similar speckled brush and pure yellow to add a bunch of random dots to a transparent layer. Save it as a PNG and add it to a backdrop and place the backdrop behind the forest backdrop. Make the yellow dotted backdrop animate slowly left or right. Add several copies of the forest backdrop and animated yellow dotted backdrop around the area your camera can see. Looks great as the yellow passes through the holes in the forest picture.

I added the Flies effect with a very low intensity and put a spotlight right above it with the distance set so the light doesn't show on the ground. And I copied it several times around the view of the camera.

Here's the result:

Bob

Cool!!!...Thanks for share your discovery
21/09/2016 12:35:20

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Ooh nice trick, simple too (as the best tricks are).
21/09/2016 14:35:39

unlimitedmagic
unlimitedmagic
Here's the finished set if you want to use it. Just add crickets...

21/09/2016 14:54:35

tonyob67
tonyob67
unlimitedmagic wrote:
Here's the finished set if you want to use it. Just add crickets...

I Will use it on my halloween video..... Thank for shareing
21/09/2016 15:03:28

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
now that is a cool idea! The same trick could be used to make a backdrop of stars sparkle... or add sun reflections to the water on a pond or lake! Or even add a twinkle to someone's eye!

In a video a editor, a lens flare effect sized very small and Keyframed for varying intensity & location could also be used... doing it that way you could make the lightning bugs move around.

Also, in Muvizu alternative solutions might be:

1) placing lights behind the backdrop with alpha holes, and directing the intensity of the lights
2) create several different copies of the forest scene with fireflies drawn at different places, then key frame the active picture being displayed on the backdrop to change the location of fireflies (although this approach would not allow the lights to fade slowly in and out unless you used composite layers in your editor)
3) create a firefly animation in another software tool, then save it as AVI and use that as the backdrop texture

I like what happens when people brainstorm possibilities! We need a thread to capture ideas like this!

--------------------------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 21/09/2016
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Fireflies