Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Exporting from Sketchup or Blender -- Oct 2016

Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
22/10/2016 20:16:25

ikayhan
ikayhan
Hi everyone,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked over and over again, but I must say that I am thoroughly confused. I know that I need to export to .ASE format to import into Muvizu BUT most of the documentation is from 2010 to 2012. Blender is now up to version 2.78 and Sketchup is far past version 8. Can someone point me to updated documentation on how to get models from Sketchup or Blender into Muvizu, and by updated I mean now (October 2016)? I have a bunch of stuff already modelled in Blender but willing to use Sketchup if need be.

Thanks in advance!!

Kayhan
22/10/2016 20:24:12

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
if you are proficient with Blender, then don't even bother with Sketchup... just export as FBX from Blender (export the mesh only, if you include animations it won't work)

You'll probably have to experiment with sizing until you get your models at a size that works in the Muvizu environment... I use a pre-sized static character loaded into my modelling program and size my models to it.. that way when I export as FBX and load 'em into Muvizu they're pretty close.
22/10/2016 20:30:34

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
You can export a Muvizu compatible FBX model from Blender which is your best option.
With a bit of searching I've found this which should help you a lot: http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic5857-your-videos.aspx?p=f#post33250

If you want to export from a newer Sketchup version, here's some information on how to do so: http://www.muvizu.com/forum/topic5438-importing-assets.aspx?p=f#post28745

Personally for Sketchup exporting I use the Ziggymesh exporter which is only compatible with Sketchup 8 (hence all the guides for it). This automatically changes the model's collision to be tiny, allowing other models to pass through it in Muvizu. If you do not add collision either manually or with an exporter like this, Muvizu will assign collision to the object which can be awkward if you're placing models next to each other.
If you have any more questions then go ahead and ask, we're a friendly bunch here.
22/10/2016 21:07:36

ikayhan
ikayhan
Thanks guys!! I just tested importing an .FBX into Muvizu (just the basic starter cube) and it worked!! I used the settings Ziggy72 listed.

What about textures and materials? Should I do all this in Blender and then export a flatted UV map (just like in the .ASE tutorials)?

Sorry for all the basic questions. Although I've modelled in Blender before and have a bunch of stuff, I'm still very new to 3D and UV maps and such.

Thanks again.

Kayhan
22/10/2016 21:44:53

MrDrWho13
A flattened UV map sounds like a good idea, but apparently Blender has issues transferring some settings to Muvizu. (It's a bit hit and miss so I wouldn't be surprised if something went wrong with the textures)
Ziggy, Berty, and Urbanlamb are the experts here with object importing so I expect they'll be around to give advice soon.
Try the UV map and if that doesn't work you'll have to do a bit of trial and error experimenting with different settings.
23/10/2016 14:37:25

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Personally I use 3D Coat to make my models (with UVs) and then only use blender as a conversion tool to get my FBXs. I would recommend you watch some tutorials on UV unwrapping and material painting on youtube, because blender is a nightmare to use. If you already have a a painted up object then you don't have to do anything special in blender, just bring it in and convert it out.
23/10/2016 15:20:45

urbanlamb
urbanlamb
(Account inactive)
I use both blender and 3dcoat for modelling (depends on the object really), but the information on uvmapping yeah just watch it on youtube it simply takes practice and time to learn. You can then convert it in blender for use in muvizu.

I tend to make characters etc in 3dcoat and object in blender but i often paint my blender objects in 3dcoat. All in all though uvmapping is pretty straight forward once you learn the principles of it all.

retopology is a bit easier in 3dcoat but some stuff doesnt need retopo depending on how it was made. Anyhow this is basic modelling and there are mountains of tutorials on these things already there is not one specific for muvizu the only muvizu part is the getting it into the software after creating

in my case i put a few blender tutorials up on youtube and they are in the wiki but they only cover getting the model into muvizu to use it.
edited by urbanlamb on 23/10/2016
31/10/2016 14:17:09

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
Does anyone have a link or zip file to download SketchUp 8? I've looked in the SketchUp.com "download older versions" as well other places to get a virus free .exe but no luck...

appreciation in advance,
.cn
31/10/2016 14:35:08

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
I've got a copy here : https://1drv.ms/u/s!ALlUfF5OI9dJgR4
31/10/2016 15:17:07

CloudNinja
CloudNinja
Perrrrrrfect!

Thank you for the quick reply & link!
.cn
31/10/2016 15:38:53

ikayhan
ikayhan
ziggy72 wrote:

Hey Zig,

Another silly question. Do you have the most recent up-to-date version of your .ASE exporter? I just want to make sure the files I am downloading is safe and not full of bullcrap malware.

Thanks for the link to Sketch Up 8 BTW

Thanks
31/10/2016 15:53:48

MrDrWho13
ikayhan wrote:
ziggy72 wrote:

Hey Zig,

Another silly question. Do you have the most recent up-to-date version of your .ASE exporter? I just want to make sure the files I am downloading is safe and not full of bullcrap malware.

Thanks for the link to Sketch Up 8 BTW

Thanks

The most recent version of the Ziggymesh exporter (Only compatible with Sketchup 8) is here: http://www.rodneyandberty.com/#!downloads/rmmoz
Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Exporting from Sketchup or Blender -- Oct 2016