Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tech Help ? help - biting off more than computer can chew..

pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
28/07/2016 15:38:50

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I also saw a "life hack" video in which a guy used flexible copper tubing, an aquarium pump, and a picnic cooler/ice chest filled with ice to cycle the ice water thru the copper tubing... (which can be coiled into a relatively flat surface)

His application was to mount the tubing to a fan for the purpose of cooling a room, but it could be used for a platform on which to set a laptop. Or not.

So many crazy @$$ ideas, so little time. ;-)
28/07/2016 15:40:04

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
PatMarrNC wrote:
I also saw a "life hack" video in which a guy used flexible copper tubing, an aquarium pump, and a picnic cooler/ice chest filled with ice to cycle the ice water thru the copper tubing... (which can be coiled into a relatively flat surface)

His application was to mount the tubing to a fan for the purpose of cooling a room, but it could be used for a platform on which to set a laptop. Or not.

So many crazy @$$ ideas, so little time. ;-)

The problem with that is you might get condensation which is not computer friendly.
06/08/2016 14:06:45

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
MrDrWho13 wrote:
I don't think adding more ram will help much. :/
You might want to try rendering in 2 second chunks, or turning down the shadow sharpness.

as an addendum to this observation:
Last night I added a bunch of ram to my system, and afterward I noticed that half of it is accessible by my graphics card. So although its true that adding ram isn't going to provide the same performance boost as a new graphics card, it does seem to give the current graphics card more ram to work with. I haven't given it a workout yet, except to load a few sets that used to take forever to load. (Seems faster to me now. )
06/08/2016 18:14:34

christian_clavet
christian_clavet
Hi, you can check the graphic card power requirement on the package box, it can also be found on the internet. But what is written is the lowest power supply.

For this I have some recommendation to give:

Take this exemple: A GTX970, Here is the power recommendation from the NVidia web site
The site said the card will take 145W, and recommend a 500W power supply for the whole system (they give an example of the system at the bottom).

You need to be careful on the PSU, for this 500W psu, there are some NON-CERTIFIED psu out there that rate at 550W, but they will surely break after a short time of using them in this configuration. What you need is to add a safe margin, because electrical consumption is not linear with a system, it depend on what you do. The higher you get to the limit the more temperature your PSU will produce and more risk to break. (Heat/Cold cycles break circuits/solder over a long period)

What I mean a certified PSU? Certified PSU have also grades (bronze, silver, gold, platinium). The higher the grade, the more solid the PSU will be (stable current, more efficiency), and also will be good for the video card to reduce the symptom of "whine coil". (High pitched sound mostly in high FPS situation)

So to return to the example, you take a no-brand, non certified 550W PSU, install it with a GTX 970, the psu will get VERY hot, and at some point will surely break.

For a GTX970, I would add a margin of at least 100W (to keep the PSU cooler and keep it longer), so for this card, a 600W Bronze certified PSU would work nicely, and LAST.

If you look at the recommended specs, add 100W of margin, and take at least a certified PSU, you should be fine and won't throw money out of the window.
16/01/2017 01:10:03

flipthevideoguy
flipthevideoguy
Just a FYI I bought a Nvidia gtx 1070 and ran muvizu and got a maybe 10-15% better render time last week. Today I tried a Amd Rx480 4Gb version and Wow!!!! 50% better Render and I can do waaaayy more on screen with no slow down!! I have an amd 9590 chip in my asus board with 16 gigs of ram. originally had a gtx 550ti card. Someone try the Rx480 and see if you get the same Improvement i did.
16/01/2017 01:44:24

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
flipthevideoguy wrote:
Just a FYI I bought a Nvidia gtx 1070 and ran muvizu and got a maybe 10-15% better render time last week. Today I tried a Amd Rx480 4Gb version and Wow!!!! 50% better Render and I can do waaaayy more on screen with no slow down!! I have an amd 9590 chip in my asus board with 16 gigs of ram. originally had a gtx 550ti card. Someone try the Rx480 and see if you get the same Improvement i did.

I wonder if the AMD graphics cards work better in machines with an AMD CPU... I put a GTX-1060 in my AMD machine and although I've seen gains, its not nearly what I expected. It's interesting to hear that you got better results with an AMD GPU on your AMD computer. The GTX 1070 is a powerhouse... especially when paired with an I-7 CPU

I may have to check this out....
16/01/2017 07:01:34

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
Wow that's not the result I expected. The 1070 is meant to be significantly more powerful than the RX480 but Muvizu seems to run faster as you say.
16/01/2017 12:59:50

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
I'm curious to know, how did you measure render speed?
pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Tech Help ? help - biting off more than computer can chew..