Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Move Character

the topic is closed
25/04/2011 18:13:41

haarvik
haarvik
Is there a way to put a character on an object, and have the character move with the object? In other words, if i create, say an elevator, and want to have the character go up when the elevator does, how would I do that?
26/04/2011 06:41:40

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
Haarvik,

I would say no (although someone will probably come up with a way I haven't thought of).

The three ways I have achieved this are - good old green screen (Igor in the cab in Beware the Pie), moving backdrops and moving cameras so that it looks like characters are moving (end of Beware the Pie on the rocket).

You could use a combination of the above of course.

Berty

26/04/2011 11:49:35

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
I just did a little test and it worked. I created a cube and scaled it down to look like an elevator platform. Make sure the "can be stood on" box is checked. I then placed a character on the platform. I went to "Prepare/Object movement" and moved the platform up like an elevator platform would do. The character went up on the platform nicely.

I'm not very good at explaining how I do things so I hope this helps. If not, DREEKO HELP!!!!!!!!!!!
26/04/2011 12:32:50

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
hey

yep i think that would be the only instance in which anything like that would work mysto (although i could be wrong).

so if you want to animate a char + object going up or down its defo possible by hitting the 'can be stood on' option but going any other direction the char will just pop on top of the object and then back down to its original position again...

Hopefully at some point we will be able to group chars and objects and be able to animate the group
26/04/2011 12:45:55

65Radius
65Radius
Mysto,
I repeated your experiment, and found that additionally, if you use a backdrop "ground" with "texture=none" instead of a cube, you can have a character that appears to rise up in the air and descend with no apparent support!
26/04/2011 12:54:43

mysto
Great tip 65Radius! This is one reason I like using Muvizu so much, the more you experiment with the program the more you learn what it can do.
26/04/2011 13:11:17

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I think I need to go back to Muvizu School !
26/04/2011 13:21:43

mysto
I've been in Muvizu school since the first day I started using the program. Just when you think you have learned most everything about the program something new pops up.
26/04/2011 15:58:01

haarvik
haarvik
You are correct, except when you go to direct the movement, the object moves and the character stays.
26/04/2011 16:50:26

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
65Radius wrote:
Mysto,
I repeated your experiment, and found that additionally, if you use a backdrop "ground" with "texture=none" instead of a cube, you can have a character that appears to rise up in the air and descend with no apparent support!

I used this same technue to make characters appear to be falling down a well when in fact they were rising on an invisible platform. The angle just made it look like they were falling.

This only works on up & down movement. Lateral movements don't work the same: the object moves but the character stays put until the object is gone from under them and then they fall.
26/04/2011 20:13:06

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
...and if you use a floating texture-less ground plane and put a dry ice effect (or similar) in the same place then you can have them floating on a cloud...
27/04/2011 07:32:06

65Radius
65Radius
Haarvik , The character stays when you "direct", but behaves as expected when you "play".
Dreeko, the cloud effect is quite impressive!
27/04/2011 12:04:24

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
65Radius wrote:
Haarvik , The character stays when you "direct", but behaves as expected when you "play".
Dreeko, the cloud effect is quite impressive!

Yip, especially if you animate the movement of the dry ice aswell!

D
PS: would it be helpful to anyone if I made a video tutorial of this moving character in a lift/on a cloud effect or foes everyone already know what's going on here?
edited by Dreeko on 27/04/2011
27/04/2011 14:11:53

haarvik
haarvik
Yes it would! I must be missing something because I can't get it to do it.
27/04/2011 14:21:26

65Radius
65Radius
A tutorial would be ideal!
27/04/2011 14:49:30

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
Dreeko, I'm pretty sure you could make a tutorial on how to turn on your computer and we'd all be interested. I've used this technique before but it would still be fun to watch.
27/04/2011 20:09:42

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Danimal wrote:
Dreeko, I'm pretty sure you could make a tutorial on how to turn on your computer and we'd all be interested..

I second that!
the topic is closed

Home ? How Do I ...? ? Move Character