Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Which video editing software do you use?

pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed
09/05/2011 14:16:59

toonaramaMuvizu mogulExperimental user
toonarama
All
Looking to buy a new video editor because my AP Elements V4 is getting a bit outdated. Looking around on the web it is amazing how many get good "official" reviews but terrible "consumer reviews"
What editors are other people using and would you recommend them or not?
Thanks
Toonarama
09/05/2011 14:54:48

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
I have both Vegas Pro 10 and Vegas Studio 9 (the home user version) and both are incredible. The Pro version has more in depth titling and text features that I'll probably never use. The Home Studio version is the one I use more and it fantastic. I would definitely recommend it.

One caveat: it doesn't like Muvizu output for some reason. This is a known issue and there was a tip somewhere on this board to just resave the files using Virtual Dub, which is free. Works like a charm!
09/05/2011 16:48:17

mystoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
mysto
Here lately I have been using a program called AVS video editor with pretty good results. It's fairly easy to understand, works well with Muvizu and has quite a few "bells and whistles" for adding text and effects. Plus it's reasonably priced.

Here's the link: http://www.avs4you.com/

I have Adobe premiere and have used it quite a lot but wanted something a bit less complicated to learn. Hope this helps.
09/05/2011 17:03:54

ukBertyMuvizu mogulExperimental user
ukBerty
I used Pinnacle Studio for my stuff so far, but have upgraded to Avid Studio for what I'm working on now.

It has some pretty cool things and allows me to assemble my Muvizu movies, cut between shots very nicely and also has quite a few effects which I'm still getting to grips with.

It also allows me to mix in 5.1 surround which has always been important to me.

Downsides of both Pinnacle and Avid Studio is that I have never been able to get any sound to work straight from Muvizu - I always have to put AVIs through Virtual Dub first, which is a real pain. I have also recently moved away from the Microsoft Codec as I was getting graduation lines on the render which means that nothing I output from Muvizu will load into Studio without being run through Virtual Dub. How tiresome.

I use Adobe After Effects for anything really complex, but am trying to keep things pure Muvizu as much as possible. Studio is fine for most post processing things and the greenscreen is now much better in Avid than it was in Pinnacle.

Hope this helps

Berty
edited by ukBerty on 09/05/2011
09/05/2011 20:13:31

ziggy72Muvizu mogulExperimental user
ziggy72
Adobe Premiere Pro. Quite old version by now, and I have to do the whole 'convert to compatible format' thing too before I can use it on Muvizu clips, but it's good. I'm surprised Mysto said it's hard to learn, I've always found it quite straight forward - bars of footage, you cut it up, you move it about, you drag and drop effects directly onto the clips, then alter the settings later if you want - Simples! (Sorry to all non UK residents out there who must be wondering why some members of the forum use this term - it's to do with an advert for cheep kar insurance by a talking meerkat. Seriously).

Also, and unlike UKBerty, I do everything possible not to ever involve Muvizu in the editing process, or the sound. I use the sound tracks on the clips to cue the shots together, then delete them and use the original audio instead. Every shot is one take on one camera. Isn't that what everyone does?
09/05/2011 21:39:05

ukBerty
ziggy72 wrote:
Also, and unlike UKBerty, I do everything possible not to ever involve Muvizu in the editing process, or the sound.

Ziggy - I think I may have confused you here. I don't involve Muvizu in the editing process.

As far as the sound goes it would just be nice to have an output from Muvizu that I could hear the dialogue track on without having to run it through Virtual Dub that's all. Despite using the Microsoft Codec for Beware the Pie, I had to process everything again through V Dub so I could hear the dialogue track to then re-sync to the original recordings - all very time consuming. I agree that other audio features, such as sound effects, are better done outside Muvizu.

As for the video editing - Yes, one take one camera and assemble things outside Muvizu - it was more a comment on post production.

I'm just sitting here thinking why I don't really like to use too much post production and think it's purer to simply string Muvizu AVIs together..... I guess I see it as a challenge and that when I say it's "Created with Muvizu", it has been. Maybe I just don't know how to use After Effects properly though ! (Having said that I've spent 2 hours today reversing, speeding up and adding sun flares onto an 8 second piece of video !)

Berty
09/05/2011 22:42:12

mysto
Ziggy, I have the newest version of Premiere and while it is a great program for some reason I just can't seem to get the hang of it here lately. Maybe old age is starting to set in on me I don't know. When I was doing animation full time (about 10 years ago) Premiere was my choice of editing software.

I got away from animating for several years and then last summer I found Muvizu and the animation bug bit me hard again. I tried to pick back up with Premiere and like I said for one reason or another just seemed to have troubles picking back up where I left off.

Then I came across the AVS video editor and found it to be more suited to my present style of video editing. It does everything that I want to do quite well and pretty fast. As I gradually get back into doing animation full time I'll probably go back to using Premiere though.
09/05/2011 23:47:48

DanimalMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Danimal
ziggy72 wrote:
I use the sound tracks on the clips to cue the shots together, then delete them and use the original audio instead.

Absolutely the same process here.
10/05/2011 00:14:52

ziggy72
@ UKBerty - Yeah, I did pick you up wrong now that I read your post again. And please don't think I was having a go at your methods, I was just noting the differences in all our approaches to essentialy the same problems. Whatever floats yer boat, as they say I would love to be able to do everything inside Muvizu too, but right now I'm happy to use it to generate images only.

@ Mysto - Premiere was never all that friendly to begin with really. I'm just used to it's peculiarities, I guess.
10/05/2011 06:11:18

ukBerty
ziggy72 wrote:
don't think I was having a go at your methods

Don't worry Ziggy - I never thought you were ! As you say, whatever floats your boat.

Berty
10/05/2011 08:28:01

toonarama
Many thanks for all your suggestions!
10/05/2011 09:34:39

freakmoomin
freakmoomin
Just out of curiosity is there anybody out there using an editing package which can handle muvizu's raw output? or is everybody going via 'V Dub'???
10/05/2011 09:38:33

65Radius
65Radius
freakmoomin wrote:
Just out of curiosity is there anybody out there using an editing package which can handle muvizu's raw output? or is everybody going via 'V Dub'???

I use Cinepak codec, which is accepted by Windows Live Movie maker, and by Corel Video Studio Pro X 4.
10/05/2011 09:41:03

toonarama
Adobe Premiere Elements (v4) is happy with it
10/05/2011 20:24:48

ziggy72
freakmoomin wrote:

I use Xilisoft Converter 6, which does a nice job on just about everything.
10/08/2011 19:54:02

ukBerty
I seem to be the only person using Avid Studio and.... I've finally given up with it.

The features are great, but it's just so buggy.

I have twice tried to apply the latest service pack, but it just means that all you AVIs are zoomed to around 130% which destroys the whole movie. The sound cuts in and out meaning not all tracks play at the same time.

I did contact their support - "you should receive a reply in 24-48 hours" - but 5 days later I uninstalled and re-installed without the service pack so I could complete my movie.

Now I have, I have started compiling my next one in Sony Vegas and am impressed - at least it does what it says it is going to do !

Another learning curve though............

(It still won't take anything I produce in Muvizu - I have to run through Virtual Dub first. Why is this !)
edited by ukBerty on 10/08/2011
10/08/2011 21:06:37

DreekoMuvizu mogulExperimental user
Dreeko
Output as a tga image sequence from
Muvizu and then go to import media in Vegas

This gives the best results
If you need any more help just email

Cheers

D
edited by Dreeko on 10/08/2011
10/08/2011 21:22:37

Wizaerd
Wizaerd
I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum v 11... Upon upgrading from v9, I too noticed some skipping and jittering when using Muvizu output, so changing to the Cinepak codec, it worked fine.

Depending on your budget, and you needs, HitFilm has released a fairly affordable compositing & effects editor, with regular video editing capabilties as well. My initial experiments with it give me a favorable impression of it.
10/08/2011 22:25:55

mysto
I've been using AVS video editor. It has enough cool features to keep my interest and is fairly simple to figure out and use. Editing videos is not one of my strongest areas of expertise. If you watch any of my animations all of the titles, cuts and fades are pretty simple stuff.
11/08/2011 09:33:16

ukBerty
Thanks guys, as ever.

Having a look at Hitfilm now.... looks interesting.

I'll re-compile the first section as I have in Vegas and see how it performs. Looks like it has some great effects and capabilities.

Dreeko - if I stick with Vegas I'll get some more details on your codec settings.....
pages: 1 2 | the topic is closed

Home ? Tips & Tricks ? Which video editing software do you use?