Messages in this topic - RSS

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? CHRISTMAS CONTEST 2016

pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.
18/11/2016 13:05:03

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
OK, time to redirect our attention to a new contest! CHRISTMAS 2016!

I think the last "user choice" contest went well, so let's do that again. No prizes, just peer recognition and something happy to talk about. Here are the guidelines for the contest:

1) No old clips... video must be started and finished between now and the end of the contest

2) contest ends on midnight Dec 18 (a month from today). That will give us all of the week leading up to Christmas to view and review the videos!

3) right to use assets and music must be documented in the credits, with links to the asset and the license

4) credit must be given to creator if assets are used under a creative commons license
http://www.wikihow.com/Attribute-a-Creative-Commons-Licensed-Work

5) theme should be Christmas related, or at least "seasonal" if you don't celebrate Christmas. As we'll be reviewing the videos during Christmas week, it would be great if they all promote feel-good themes of family, giving, etc, whatever the season means to you. And if they're funny too that would be awesome.

uh... 5 guidelines is enough. Let's see some creative adaptations that haven't already shown up in 2000 years of holiday story telling!

Ready... set.... GO!!

---------------------------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 18/11/2016
18/11/2016 13:45:07

LugofilmLtd
LugofilmLtd
A couple of questions for clarification:

1. Regarding the crediting of assets, if I'm only using what I've downloaded for free from here, are you asking me to credit the person who originally uploaded it? How am I supposed to figure that out?

2. In my home state of North Carolina, state law explicitly allows the noncommercial use of sound recordings in webcasting, which is fine since I don't monetize my youtube channel anyway. How would that work regarding music under these rules? I always credit musicians regardless, but are you specifically only allowing entries that use creative commons material?
18/11/2016 14:18:23

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
LugofilmLtd wrote:
A couple of questions for clarification:

1. Regarding the crediting of assets, if I'm only using what I've downloaded for free from here, are you asking me to credit the person who originally uploaded it? How am I supposed to figure that out?

assets from the store should be vetted and OK by now. I was thinking of assets originating in Sketchup or other site that were adapted to Muvizu by the person posting the video. "New" assets... which probably ain't going to happen anyway...

But, in answer to your question, it *IS* possible to figure out who uploaded an asset from the store. Just find the asset in the store, and the person who uploaded it will be clearly shown. Even though it isn't required to credit the forum member who uploaded the asset, a lot of people do it anyway, and that small acknowledgement is pretty much the only payment they get for their efforts. It's good form, but not required.

2. In my home state of North Carolina, state law explicitly allows the noncommercial use of sound recordings in webcasting, which is fine since I don't monetize my youtube channel anyway. How would that work regarding music under these rules? I always credit musicians regardless, but are you specifically only allowing entries that use creative commons material?

Webcasting is treated differently under copyright law because it streams live and there is typically no recording that can be recirculated. But once you embed music in in a recorded vehicle like a video, you need to either own the rights to it or pay for the rights to use it. Harry Fox Agency handles the licensing of copyright protected audio. If you are posting your shows on Youtube, your use of the video might not comply with the state provisions that allow free use. You might want to look into that.

Creative commons licensing is a fairly new thing, and something we should all be looking at. It typically allows VERY free use of the asset(s) providing the original author is credited. It should be mentioned that there are a bunch of variations on the license, and you need to know which license the asset is affected by.

The recommendation of linking to the license and crediting the original author aren't my idea.. that's pretty much the way creative commons works. It benefits the original author by getting their name all over the web embedded in potentially thousands of projects. There are people who have acquired a certain amount of fame just from the exposure they've gotten by making their work available through a creative commons licensing arrangement.

To answer your question: it doesn't have to be creative commons... but if its protected by copyright you have to prove that you have rights to use it. A link to the state law, paid license, free license etc for example...

but I'm pretty sure this use would not conform to the webcasting provision, because a video can be copied and redistributed and it gets out of the copyright holders control.

--------------------------------------------------
18/11/2016 16:36:38

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
here's an overview of the Creative Commons license that would apply to most of what we do. As you can see, it allows a lot of creative leeway in exchange for simply acknowledging the author:

https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/

Typically when you use an asset that has been provided under creative commons licensing, the download site will include a snippet of text that you are supposed to post in your project. The wording varies, but it's usually something along the lines of :

the model (Name or description of model), created by (Modeler's Name) is being used under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (Insert link to model and license)

Failing to post the credit and license is bad JuJu, and nobody wants that.

It should be noted that SKETCHUP'S 3D Warehouse does NOT use Creative Commons Licensing, although there are some model repositories that do.

--------------------------------------------------
18/11/2016 17:00:15

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
everything sound good pat, I try to come up with something, good luck everyone!
19/11/2016 01:14:52

tonyob67
tonyob67
Yes, I am in also, dont have any ideas and we have only one month, but I will try
19/11/2016 13:30:31

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Here are some random ideas:

1) Change Santa into Kim Jong Un , and make the north pole into the "Peoples' Democratic Republic Of North Pole." Maybe the elves would be replaced with sweat shop workers... There are all sorts of goofy ways a comparison-contrast story could find funny situations to turn into humor

2) What if one of the reindeer happened to be afraid of heights?

3) Santa gets audited by the IRS

4) Love story between two elves, but with an unexpected twist

5) Santa ends up in prison, has to switch from being a jolly old elf to being the terror/boss of the cell block

6) PETA pressures Santa into putting the reindeer on a preserve, and he has to find a new way to deliver gifts

7) ELVIS impersonator sings karaoke (ELF-IS : "You ain't nothin' but a reindeer!...")

8) North Pole dry cleaning accidentally switches santa's suit with some other outfit... (but what?)

9) Santa's on a game show... but all the questions are about other holidays...

10) Santa discovers Rudolph has been using a GPS

etc etc etc
19/11/2016 18:24:41

Rocque
Rocque
Wow!!! I wonder if I will have time to make a video for this? I will see.
19/11/2016 23:17:01

MrDrWho13Muvizu mogulExperimental user
MrDrWho13
I love those ideas, I may try one of them out.
29/11/2016 16:21:43

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
We're sneaking up on December, so this is a reminder to get those Christmas videos ready! The asset store is full of free content that can be used in your video! So of all topics, Christmas is one that is well supported by free assets!

There are pine trees, fully decorated Christmas trees, Fireplaces, Santa, elves, Reindeer, Kitchens for cooking, planes for travelling, Churches for worshipping, Stores for shopping, Kids for whatever it is that kids do on Christmas day... etc etc etc

If you don't have any ideas yet, just stop right now and look through all the assets in the store, and I bet by the time you reach the end you'll have several ideas worth pursuing!

https://www.muvizu.com/Texture/22983/Santa-texture

https://www.muvizu.com/Texture/22982/Elf

https://www.muvizu.com/Set/46521/Christmas-Tree

https://www.muvizu.com/Set/46520/Fireplace

------------------------------------------------------
edited by PatMarrNC on 29/11/2016
30/11/2016 23:53:10

35litretheatre
35litretheatre
I'm having fun creating my Christmas video, but have just 18 seconds so far :O The tight deadline is making me rethink my script and focus on the essential elements to tell the story. This is a really useful exercise.
07/12/2016 12:54:16

Anticip
Anticip
I might pitch in as I've just discovered the project, I am already working on something similar for a bunch of friends maybe I can tweak it a little to fit the contest, it will be completely new, hopefully before December 18th though it's gonna be tight.
edited by Anticip on 07/12/2016
07/12/2016 15:33:40

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
The "deadline" was kind of arbitrarily chosen so people can pace their production and present their stories reasonably close to Christmas. I think most of us are still in a holiday mood at least until New Years Day, so anybody who doesn't get their story finished by the 18th should continue working on it and post it to the forum when they're ready.
09/12/2016 01:43:23

clayster2012Muvizu mogul
clayster2012
Well considering all my set backs, I'm am trying do another Star Wars Christmas spoof for the contest, if I don't get it done before the deadline,I'll at least have it done for Christmas, but I'm working hard to get it done!
edited by clayster2012 on 09/12/2016
10/12/2016 15:28:45

35litretheatre
35litretheatre
Be warned, I didn't do happy :O

https://vimeo.com/195098300
10/12/2016 22:46:45

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
35litretheatre wrote:
Be warned, I didn't do happy :O

https://vimeo.com/195098300

That was AWESOME! Here's what I like about it:

1) The music! And you wrote it! Bonus points for that! (Makes it TWICE as original!)
2) the intro snowfall..
3) the way the camera view suggested that the sleigh was taking off
4) the sleigh flying past the moon (hey wait... where's Santa? And the reindeer?)
5) the story of the elf having financial problems , especially at Christmastime
6) the foot prints in the snow was a nice touch! Very creative!
7) I liked the elf village with all the little houses in a row
8) her reflection as she passed each house's window, and the glimpse inside at the other elves' relative happiness and comfort
9) the frost on her window
10) the way you portrayed the lighting of her candle with a match
11) the way you portrayed the food boxes disappearing as the elves pass through the food bank
12) the way you portrayed her walking behind the box
13) the detail of a plaque on the park bench. The inclusion of specific dates prompts me to ask if it represents a real person.
14) and the final blast of stars at the end!

thank you, Tracey Hart AKA 35litretheatre! More! More!
10/12/2016 23:34:13

35litretheatre
35litretheatre
Wow, Pat, what lovely, thoughtful feedback, thank you.

You have a keen eye for detail. I thought I might be able to slip the absent Santa (and reindeer) past viewers Big Grin

I'm truly delighted that you like my music.

The significance of the dates - not an actual person but reference to a 2015 article re: number of people sleeping rough each night. The numbers throughout the vid are stats references. I thought it'd be too preachy (and too long!) to include all my references.

I really do appreciate your time, effort and kind support.
edited by 35litretheatre on 10/12/2016
13/12/2016 02:30:57

tonyob67
tonyob67
Hello guys, its been a long time...this is my entry...
Is a small video, I noticed some errors in it, but I do not have time to correct them ... I hope you like it

13/12/2016 06:57:21

PatMarrNCMuvizu mogul
PatMarrNC
Tony! Good to see you posting again!

That was awesome! and funny! Once again you made a surprise ending!
15/12/2016 20:51:41

fman00
fman00
Here is my absolutely 100% original creation... except for the set that was by Urbanlamb, the gag that was pinched from a 30 year old Robotman comic strip and the music supplied by Kevin Mcleod and Mr Orff. The crumbs left over- that's my creativity.

I wanted to do something quick and silly. Would have taken a lot less time if I didn't get a fatal error from Muvizu when I had finished 90% and lost most of it. I'd hoped Muvizu had stopped doing that sort of thing.Damn Computer..

pages: 1 2 | Please log in or register, then complete your details to create a post.

Home ? Competitions, Events & News ? CHRISTMAS CONTEST 2016